Sunday, June 27, 2010

An Ode to Lane Smith

I would like to first of all say that I really like Lane Smith. When I was about seven, I first fell in love with his illustrations in The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Sciezka, and my adoration for his style continued to Hooray for Diffendoofer Day by Dr. Seuss. When Jamie and I discovered that he and Judith Viorst created a book together it was like having my birthday come early, we were able to get the ARC and get it signed by both Smith and Viorst. While I do like Ms. Viorst's books, if I'm honest I am ten times more infatuated with Lane Smith. So I trot myself up and smile and tell Lane Smith that I am a big fan, he signs, it's awkward between me and Judith because I don't tell her that I am a big fan and they are sitting next to one another, and I move on.

I later discovered that Lane Smith is going to be signing copies of his new book It's a Book, and of course I go out of my way to get one and get it signed. I waited in line for forty minutes and again had a moment with Mr. Smith, only this time it was a bit, what's the word? Weird. Mostly because I was so excited to talk to him again, and he recognized me, and I was just overcome.
So instead of saying, "Hey Mr. Smith! I'm still a big fan of yours!" It came out more: "Hello! I'm a big friend." WHAT? So I tried to cover, but it just ended up weird. But I think he got a good chuckle out of my ridiculous behavior. And that's what really matters. Kind of. Oi.

Anyway, I thought that I would let you all know that EVERYONE needs a copy of It's a Book. Not only does it have Lane Smith's incredible artwork, but it is also extremely funny. He has three characters: monkey, mouse, and the jackass. The donkey doesn't understand what a book is, and the monkey unhelpfully explains what a book is by what it is not. Hilarity ensues. I have to admit that this is the worst summary of a book that I have ever done, but I don't want you to be stopped by my own inadequacy. Do not doubt the genius of Lane Smith. Get it. It comes out Aug. 31st.

2 comments:

  1. Anna, your post had me laughing out loud and I can totally picture that whole exchange. Love it. I had a similar experience at a book signing at Barnes and Noble a couple years ago with an author I really like. On a different note, after reading all the exciting blog entries I can say that I am thankful to have a 2.5 yr. old so I actually know some of the authors you reference. This is a great way to find new books for Sam. Keep up the great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna, did you see the trailer girl? It's hilarious. I pre-ordered 2 copies. One for me and one for an awesome parent who gave me a copy of Octopus & Cowboy when all my shit was going down at school.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...