Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Uglies: Shay's Story by Scott Westerfeld, Devin Grayson, and Steven Cummings

Shay believes that before her transformation into a Pretty, she should enjoy life on her hoverboard, she doesn't mind breaking the rules once in a while especially after she meets the Crims. This rebellious streak leads to her meeting the charismatic David and her leaving the life she's known to live in The Smoke: free and physically unchanged. She learns to love her life surviving off the land, especially as David starts to return her feelings for her. But once Shay's best friend Tally joins The Smoke, everything seems to change, David becomes distant and Tally seems to be taking her spot in the commune. Where does Shay belong now?

This is a spinoff of Scott Westerfeld's wildly popular Uglies series. I have to admit that I tried to read Uglies but never got into it. I couldn't get into the culture that Mr. Westerfeld had made, and the characters were not engaging to me. But let's be honest, I'm in the minority because the series has taken off and is super well-known. Also I do like Scott Westerfeld's writing, I LOVED the Leviathan series and I think he's really gifted. This world is just not my thing.

I do like the fact that the haven't done a straight-up adaptation of Uglies to graphic novel, it's neat that they instead decided to elaborate on a secondary character. The artwork was really spot on for the storyline, and some of the double-spreads were really lovely. I just didn't like Shay. I think it goes back to the whole thing where I don't like the world that this is set in. Just a personal preference. Doesn't mean this was bad, just not my cup of tea, though it's a well-made cup. You know?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...