Friday, June 29, 2012

The Exhibits: The Final Day

By this point, I already had way too many books and was worried that my bag was going to be over the 50 pound limit for checked baggage (it turned out to only be 37 pounds, I could have gotten more!).  Also, I don't really like being at the exhibits the last day they're open, because things can get vicious!  As the day goes on, vendors start selling off everything they have for pretty low prices that get lower and lower.  I understand that this can be a great opportunity for librarians to get books for their libraries, especially if you don't have a lot of funding.  It's just...it can be a little scary.  So Anna and I only went for a bit, and then we got the hell out of there before anyone got hurt.

We saw Thanhha Lai, who wrote Inside Out & Back Again, a Newbery honor book.


Eugene Yelchin, author of Breaking Stalin's Nose, also a Newbery honor book.

I also went to the Penguin Book Buzz.  There were book buzzes from different publishers all throughout the conference, where you can hear about what will be coming out in the fall.  Unfortunately there was so much crossover, this was the only one I was able to get too.  I was excited to hear the there's a new Patricia Polacco book coming out called Bully.  I love Patricia Polacco books.  She's really quite wonderful.

Other books I thought sounded worth looking in to were Almost Home by Joan Bauer, out in September; Darkwater, the new book from Catherine Fisher, author of Incarceron, also out in September; Burning Blue by Paul Griffin, out in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...