Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: Habibi by Craig Thompson


"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking the Spine to spotlight an upcoming release that we're excited about. This week I'm waiting on Habibi by Craig Thompson.

Sprawling across an epic landscape of deserts, harems, and modern industrial clutter, Habibi tells the tale of Dodola and Zam, refugee child slaves bound to each other by chance, by circumstance, and by the love that grows between them. We follow them as their lives unfold together and apart; as they struggle to make a place for themselves in a world (not unlike our own) fueled by fear, lust, and greed; and as they discover the extraordinary depth—and frailty—of their connection.

At once contemporary and timeless, Habibi gives us a love story of astounding resonance: a parable about our relationship to the natural world, the cultural divide between the first and third worlds, the common heritage of Christianity and Islam, and, most potently, the magic of storytelling.
 

Craig Thompson is the author of Blankets, which I love so much.  I'm very excited to read this new one.  Luckily I don't have to wait much longer because it comes out on September 20.

10 comments:

  1. Haven't heard of this one! Looks pretty interseting!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my WOW last week - great minds think alike, eh? :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds very interesting. Great pick! Thanks for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of this one, but I love that cover! The premise sounds interesting too. Thanks for putting this on my radar!

    Stop by mine

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks pretty interesting! Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a great book and one many of my students would enjoy. I ma not familiar with the author but will be checking this one out. Thanks for stopping by and checking out my WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmm I haven't heard of this one. Sounds interesting! =]

    Thanks for visiting my blog. =]

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one is new to me and I love how it stands out from everything else I've been seeing. Excellent pick and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This definitely looks interesting! It's the first time I've heard about it, but I did hear some great things about Blankets! I hope you are enjoying this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one is different and interesting. Great pick! I'll be adding it to my list. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...