Thursday, September 22, 2011

Coraline by Neil Gaiman, adapted by P. Craig Russell


Coraline has just moved into a new flat with her somewhat neglectful parents, and everything seems just terrible. The weather is bad, the other tenants are weirdos, and school is starting soon. Coraline just wants to escape, and it seems that someone has answered her wish. A door appears and Coraline enters a world that mirrors her own. But here all her wishes come true, nothing is beyond her reach. But her Other Mother and Father seem a bit off... a bit too eager to keep her and make Coraline their own. When Coraline's real parents disappear, the true nature of the Other Mother unfolds. Only with the help of a taciturn cat can Coraline free her parents and save the souls of three other children.

I don't know if I've ever discussed my love of all things Neil Gaiman. He is a genius in my eyes. I've read this book, watched the movie, and now read the graphic novel. I have to admit that I was expecting the graphic novel to underwhelm me. But to my surprise it snuck under my skin and really creeped me out. Which is what I wanted! Really all my hopes rested on how the Other Mother was portrayed. She's one of those characters that should be bone-chillingly horrifying. Cloyingly sweet until she is thwarted. My favorite scene from the book was well represented in the graphic novel. You know the one, where the Other Mother sits, eats beetles, and taps at her button eyes? Excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...