Monday, April 9, 2012

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling

Mindy Kaling, of The Office fame, writes a series of essays on things such as karaoke etiquette, the day she stopped eating cupcakes, and franchises she'd like to reboot.

This was lots of fun.  I had several, genuine, laugh-out-loud moments, and chuckled through the rest of it.  I didn't find everything funny, but I would totally recommend it to someone with a, "This is really cute.  Take it to read on your airplane trip or to the beach.  You'll get a good laugh."

I think Mindy Kaling is totally someone I'd want to hang out with.  However, we would not be able to talk about comedy.  She finds people like Will Ferrelle and Sarah Silverman to be geniuses.  I cannot even watch them.  Then she'd get mad at me because she does not like to be criticized and then we'd be in a fight.

Mindy (I've decided we're not on a first name bases) writes about all sorts of things, but basically she takes us through her life, with some detours.  She writes about her happy, normal childhood with her parents.  She writes about college.  She writes about moving to New York and being unemployed.  She interrupts herself from the main story line to talk about how the term "hooking up" is confusing and wonders why men put their shoes on so slowly.

She mentions her weight a lot.  At one point she mentions that she's a size 8, but from the way she'd been talking about herself before you'd have thought she weighed 500 pounds.  I understand that in the Hollywood world, a size 8 probably might as well be 500 pounds, but I got tired or hearing her talk about weight and diets and so on.  That's really my only complaint though.

That and her terrible taste in comedians.  A fun read.

2 comments:

  1. I really wanted to love book. I love The Office, I love Mindy's blog, and I follow her Twitter. I really wanted to like this book, but it fell flat. She comes off as shallow in parts and it's just really uninteresting. It's not poorly written - it's just that nothing terribly interesting has happened to Mindy except that she works in television. She seems like a really fun person but this is not a book I would read again. That said, if you want to read the book, borrow it from the library, don't bother buying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was fun, with a few laugh out loud moments for me. No, it's not something I would buy and read again and again, but I did enjoy reading it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...