Sunday, July 18, 2010

It's Kind of a Funny Story


I read Ned Vizzini's bitingly lovely semi-autobiographical coming-of-age novel about teenage depression last year, and, I have to say, it easily became one of my favorite YA novels. The last passage is just so spot-on...gah. I just think it's wonderful. I read it in a weekend and cannot recommend it enough. In terms of realistically capturing what it feels like to be a teen and depressed, I'm going to go out a limb and say that few, if any, writers do that better than Mr. Vizzini. The heart of this story rings so true, and the heavier passages are so brilliantly tempered with heartbreaking levity, that it really stands up as an excellent read. Okay. Enough of my prattling.


The point of the post is to share with you the trailer for the upcoming film adaptation of It's Kind of a Funny Story, slated for release this September.

The film stars Keir Gilchrist as protagonist Craig, with a (surprisingly awesome) supporting cast featuring Zach Galifianakis as Bobby, Emma Roberts as Noelle (who is, disappointingly, NOT suffering externally the way she does in the book. Ah, well), Aasif Mandvi, Viola Davis, Jim Gaffigan, Lauren Graham, and others who are equally excellent. As the resident Wandering Librarian with a film degree, I'm likely going to frequently lament film adaptations of books, and poor casting choices of characters. Not here--I really like the look of this!

Check out the trailer. Is anyone else as excited about this as I am?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...