Thursday, July 8, 2010

Arianna Goes to Oxford

Very exciting news! In a little over a week I will be jetting off for Oxford (the one in England, not the one in Mississippi) to take part in a fantasy literature teaching seminar. And yes, I think it will be a fabulous as it sounds. The seminar is through Oxbridge Academic, and seminars take place in Oxford, Cambridge, Paris and Barcelona. Thanks to a fellowship from Oxbridge, and professional development support from my school and the independent school association, CLA, I am able to take part in this fabulous opportunity.

My department head had previously attended one of the Oxbridge Programs called "The Library and the Academy" and loved it! When I saw there was a fantasy literature program, I knew I had to apply. A whole week talking about fantasy literature? It's like a dream come true!

This is our reading list:
  • Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
  • Through the Looking-Glass By Lewis Carroll
  • The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien
  • The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
  • His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
  • Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Bloodtide by Melvin Burgess
I am curious to see how Twilight fits in. I haven't posted a review of a new book in a few days because I've been prepping for the seminar. I have read all these books before, with the exception of one. I've reread some completely and reviewed others. However, I have never read, or even heard of, Bloodtide. I've actually never heard of Melvin Burgess. And it turns out he's written quite a few things. I had to drive twenty minutes out of my town in order to get to a library that even had Bloodtide. So that's what I'm reading now. Has anyone read it? Heard of it? I think I'll do a review of it when I'm done, even though it's not a recent one.

I hope to be able to post as I'm at the seminar, to keep you updated on all the fabulous. But it involves borrowing a netbook, which I am in the process of figuring out. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...