Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking the Spine to spotlight an upcoming release that we're excited about. This week I'm waiting on Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King.

Lucky Linderman didn't ask for his life. He didn't ask his grandfather not to come home from the Vietnam War. He didn't ask for a father who never got over it. He didn't ask for a mother who keeps pretending their dysfunctional family is fine. And he didn't ask to be the target of Nader McMillan's relentless bullying, which has finally gone too far.

But Lucky has a secret--one that helps him wade through the daily mundane torture of his life. In his dreams, Lucky escapes to the war-ridden jungles of Laos--the prison his grandfather couldn't escape--where Lucky can be a real man, an adventurer, and a hero. It's dangerous and wild, and it's a place where his life just might be worth living. But how long can Lucky keep hiding in his dreams before reality forces its way inside?

Michael L. Printz Honor recipient A.S. King's smart, funny and boldly original writing shines in this powerful novel about learning to cope with the shrapnel life throws at you and taking a stand against it.
(Summary from Amazon)

I met A.S. King at the YALSA Coffee Klatch during the ALA Conference. She was so funny and delightful. I haven't read her other books, but I intend to rectify that after having met her. And let's be honest, this looks awesome. It sounds emotionally deep without the preachy tropes that can put you off of a book.

Everybody Sees the Ants comes out Oct. 3.

14 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really interesting read! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm adding this one to my wishlist - sounds fantastic!

    Here's my WOW for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds like it might be heartbreaking. Thanks for sharing your find, Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for checking out my WOW this week.

    This one is new to me and sounds very original. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds brilliant! I still need to read her other books, but apparently they're awesome :) Great pick :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this one does sound great. I've never heard of it before either - great pick!

    Thanks for stopping by Book Sake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome you got to meet her I'll have to check her out on goodreads.

    My W.O.W.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds interesting! I like that the protagonist is a boy. I'll have to add it to my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi anna! thanks for stopping by our blog and following! i've never heard of this book but i do have a.s. king's first novel waiting for me on my shelf. this one sounds just as good.

    -Michelle
    Michelle & Leslie's Book Picks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks interesting, I'm gonna have to check it after, thanks for sharing!

    And thanks for coming by my blog :D

    Alaiel
    www.librarianmouse.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haven't heard of this but it sounds awesome!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely a different read, very interesting! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds interesting. It will be on my wishlist

    by the way thanks for checking out my wow.

    Im also a new follower x

    LALAINE'S FICBOOKREVIEWS

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow -- I hadn't heard of this one, but it sounds very different and deep. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...