Friday, April 8, 2011

Spoiled by Heather Cocks & Jessica Morgan

Brooke Berlin lives with her famous actor father, Brick, in a fabulous house with every luxury she could ever want.  Except attention.  Brooke wants to be in the spotlight, but her father wants her out of it and is hardly ever at home himself.  Suddenly, out of nowhere, Brooke discovers she has a half sister, Molly, just her age, who is coming to live with her and Brick.  Now Molly is getting all the attention, both from photographers and Brick.  Brooke will stop at nothing until Molly goes back to Indiana where she belongs.

So when I first heard the summary for this book, I wasn't interested at all.  What's that?  Another book about spoiled rich people and their problems?  PASS.  But then I realized it was written by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan, the fabulous bloggers behind Go Fug Yourself which I LOVE and is absolutely HILARIOUS.  I therefore assumed any book they wrote would also be a delightfully funny as their blog.

Not quite.  Oh it was cute.  It was very tongue in cheek.  It made fun of rich people and Hollywood and excess.  It was amusing.  I wasn't doing the laughing out loud I was expecting though.  I've read stuff on their blog that makes me practically tear up it's so funny.  I was expecting the book to be like that, but it just wasn't there.  It was a perfectly fine, amusing book.

I think we were suppose to hate Brooke and root for Molly, but I actually felt really bad for Brooke the whole way through and wasn't that interested in Molly.  Poor Brooke!  All she wants is her father's love!  And then Molly shows up and Brick showers her with attention and cars and photo opportunities and Brooke is PISSED and hurt.  Can you blame her?  I would perhaps not have gone to the lengths Brooke did to make Molly miserable, but Brooke's reactions were totally realistic.  I mean, how would you react if your father suddenly said, "Surprise!  I have another kid I never told you about who's your age and is going to live with us for now on?"  Not very well, most likely.

The book followed the fairly predictable route of the girls hating each other, then bonding, then something terrible happening right when they're the best of friends that causes a rift that must be overcome.  The ending, however, was a bit different than what I was expecting.  Everything wasn't all finished tidily at the end.

So if all those spoiled rich kid books piss you off, definitely read this amusing parody of life in Hollywood, and support Heather and Jessica, because they are fabulous.

Spoiled will be available June 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...