Friday, September 17, 2010

For Dan

Curriculum Frameworks did not sound like a very exciting class, no, not exciting at all. But it turned out to be great for a couple of reasons. First, it was where I really became friends with people, and second, because Dan Fleming was teaching it. Dan was amazing. He was one of those incredibly genuine people you should only be so lucky to meet in your life. He thought every single one of us was special and fabulous and would do great things. And it made us want be be great, because we would never want to disappoint him. You can't fake that kind of enthusiasm. I wish that I could be that kind of person for my students.

Whenever I was feeling frustrated from jumping through hoops with my practicum requirements or trying to figure out what I still needed to do for my certification, Dan had a way of making everything seem simple. It sometimes felt like everyone was trying to be as confusing as possible, and then Dan would cut through everything with straightforward advice and direction. It was comforting being with Dan.

I would like for Dan to be proud of me, and it inspires me to be a better librarian. But it's also comforting to know that even if I have a day where I was not being the best librarian I can be, Dan would never be disappointed in me. Because I'm fabulous and special and I will do great things. I won't forget to feed the rabbits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...