Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Infects by Sean Beaudoin

An unfortunate chicken factory mishap lands Nick (juvenile delinquent nickname, Nero) on an Inward Trek for juvenile delinquents.  Things get bad pretty fast, and it's not because of the lousy food and forced hiking.  People seem to be falling victim to a strange disease.  A disease that seems to make them want to eat other humans...

In full disclosure, I didn't finish this.  I couldn't.  It was too icky.  There was far too much flesh ripping and raw meat eating and brains and things.  Ew.  Not my thing.  I'm sure plenty of people will enjoy this.  Just not me.

As for the story itself, it is much in keeping with Sean Beaudoin's other book I read, You Killed Wesley Payne, which I kind of enjoyed.  It had the same kind of "fuck it all" attitude.  The characters make lots of snappy comebacks, even when they are faced with attacking zombies.  It's all very tongue-in-cheek, pithy, snarky, and other words like that.  Usually I love that.  But somehow, I find it grating the way Beaudoin does it.  I got tired of it in Wesley too.  I was tired of it by the time people started into zombies, which wasn't even half way through.

Nick and his ragtag gang of juvenile delinquents (which keeps getting smaller as people are attacked and zombified) run about the woods, following Nick who's been elected leader.  Nick is torn between getting home to protect his developmentally delayed (but video game genius) sister, or go after his crush, who just so happens to be on the corresponding Inward Trek for female juvenile delinquents for reasons unknown.  At least unknown to be, because I didn't finish the books.  Nick chooses this crush, and off they all race into the mountains.  That's where I stopped.

If you like horror and gross stuff and zombies and don't mind a bit of fun being poked at the horror genre, then I have no doubt you'll enjoy this.

The Infects comes out September 25, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...