Friday, June 8, 2012

Weird Fishes by Jamaica Dyer

Dee and Sam aka Bunny Boy are two middle schoolers who live in the social outskirts. Dee has bizarre visions and Bunny Boy hasn't taken off his Halloween costume since he first wore it. They've been the other's only friend, until they have a disagreement. Suddenly Bunny Boy is going for hipster chic and trying to get the attention of Goth Girl and Dee's visions are becoming all too real.

This was super weird. As in I'm still not sure of the point of the book, or to be honest if there is a point. It's got some interesting plot lines, and things get somewhat resolved by the end... but I finished with a very strong sense of "Huh." Fortunately I didn't feel like I had wasted my time, but I was just completely thrown off by what had just happened. Discombobulated as it were. I didn't find it obnoxious that it ended abruptly, because the book was so bizarre I just figure that they'll go off into the sunset and do whatever. Kind of like they have throughout the book

Let me side-note here: I should probably point out that most of the main characters are middle schoolers, but I kept forgetting because of the attitude, drug-use, and how they looked. They are all so much cooler than I ever came close to being at 14. But then they are also a lot more messed up, so I guess it's a trade-off.

Last thing, I thought the artwork was phenomenal. Super beautiful. Jamaica Dyer has a really lovely way of creating her pictures with sketches and (I'm assuming) watercolors. They serve as a really lovely juxtaposition to each other and tell just as much of the story, if not more, than the words. I wish every page could have been in full color because I think it would have blown my mind. Jamaica Dyer is a talented lady.

So is the book for just anyone? Definitely not. I'm not going to label it as a "Great Graphic Novel for Girls" because I'm not 100% sure that it is. I thought it was lovely and engaging, but I also think I was in the perfect mood to read it. A minute earlier or later and I would not be having this review for it. So I guess I'm going to say read at your own risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...